Call for Session Proposals
True Stories of Engagement: Higher Education for Democracy
2018 Campus Compact National Conference
March 25-28, 2018
Campus Compact seeks proposals for sessions that deepen our shared understanding of higher education’s role in advancing the public good and our shared capacity to communicate about that role within and beyond the boundaries of the academy.
We welcome proposal submissions for 55 minute sessions. We seek sessions focused on any and all topics that fit within the broad goal of advancing understanding of higher education’s role in advancing democracy, improving communities, and cultivating engaged citizens.
We are particularly interested in sessions that give participants the opportunity for learning and reflection in the following areas:
- Communication about higher education’s public purposes, both at the level of individual institutions and the level of the higher education sector. How do we talk to each other and the broader world about higher education’s public role?
- The development and implementation of Campus Civic Action Plans. What have we learned about the process of planning for the public good? What substantive innovations will we see? What challenges are ahead?
- The five commitments at the center of Campus Compact’s 30th Anniversary Action Statement:
- Building partnerships for a just, equitable, and sustainable future
- Preparing students for lives of engaged citizenship
- Embracing our responsibilities as place-based institutions
- Challenging inequalities that threaten democracy
- Fostering an environment that sets high expectations for all members of the campus community to contribute to the public good
We welcome sessions in a wide variety of formats, including workshops, facilitated discussions, performances, and games. We welcome proposals representing work undertaken through public, private, two-year, four-year, and graduate colleges and universities, along with organizations outside of higher education including community partners.
Notes for presenters
- All selected presenters are responsible for expenses incurred in conjunction with the 2018 Campus Compact Conference including registration, housing, and travel.
- Proposal submission topics cannot be changed after the review and selection process.
- Campus Compact may edit presentation titles or session descriptions for consistency and clarity.
- Acceptance notifications will be sent out in August 2017
- Presenters must register by October 19, 2017 to guarantee the session
Proposal submissions are due at 11:59 pm PST on June 30th
Acceptance notifications will be sent out August 2017